As I sit here on the morning of April 28th watching Fox21 report, once again, that here in Southern Colorado the weather is turning back towards winter with three days of anticipated snow, rain, hail and pure muckiness; I am reminded how unpredictable our weather can be. Most of the nation is currently enjoying its typical and predictable weather patterns – not us! It is a small price to pay, I believe, because we all get to live in one of the most beautiful and overall weather friendly areas of America – just sometimes we get a twist J like we are here in late April.
As we all get-through this spell of Mother Nature’s muscle-flexing, we can almost certainly consider hail damage as one of the items we may face…especially our vehicles. Hail, as you know, isn’t your vehicle’s best pal and the team at Perkins’ Auto Body has tips to consider when hail comes knocking, once again, at the door of Colorado Springs’ residents. As a reminder our auto body shop is a 30,000 square foot, 100% controlled environment facility that we’ve had open since 1957. All the work we do comes complete with a 100% lifetime warranty and each year the shop helps over 3,000 vehicle owners. perkinsautobody.com…OK, now to the tips!
- If you have hail damage, the first thing to do (after frowning at Mother Nature) is to call your insurance company to report the damage – then call us: (719) 635-3213
- Then, discuss your repair needs with your insurance company and our team. For example, our trained technicians may recommend paintless dent removal (PDR), which involves using specially-molded metal tools on the underside of a damaged part that won’t disturb the vehicle’s factory finish. This method is often used by manufacturers and dealers to repair new vehicles and will not invalidate paint warranties. Plus, it is our specialty @Perkins Auto Body since 1957!
- No matter who you choose, it is wise to find out how long the repair will take. Repair shops operating in areas hit by damaging hail may be very busy, so the work may take a little longer due to the volume of vehicles that need to be repaired. However, any reputable auto body shop should be able to provide you with good timetables for your car being returned to you.
- Make sure your vehicle is repaired to your satisfaction. Before accepting your vehicle, look at the surface in fluorescent lighting and from several angles so that you can see all the details. Check for any remaining dents before you take your vehicle home. In short, don’t take your vehicle home until you are 100% happy.
- Ask if the shop guarantees its work (like Perkins’ does). If you notice a flaw in your vehicle’s repair, you should be able to have it fixed at no additional charge. Know how your auto body shop will handle any problems you might have with your vehicle after the repair.
- Remember, you are empowered to CHOOSE which auto body shop YOU want to work with. Often, insurance companies have deals with certain repair shops and may try and influence you to choose ‘theirs’ but the fact is, you have the power and the right to go to a repair source that YOU trust and want to work with.
- FYI, Auto insurance claims resulting from hail damage MAY only covered if you’ve purchased comprehensive coverage, the part of physical damage insurance that covers weather-related damage as well as theft and vandalism. Check with your insurance on this before not after.
Good luck out there, and if hail damages your vehicle, don’t hesitate to call us – we will have your vehicle towed to our shop, and our team ensures your vehicle will be fixed and in a timely fashion with a lifetime warranty.
Cheers – Crystal Johnston, Director of Marketing.