Can I Get a Car Loan with Bad Credit?
The question has been asked of us many times; clients from Denver to Woodland Park want to know if it’s possible to get financing for a new or used vehicle even if they have less than perfect credit. While, in some cases, it could be more challenging and more expensive to get that initial financing, special programs make it possible to get funding, so you can start rebuilding your credit now.
Bad Credit Car Loans
Bad credit car loans are designed for borrowers considered higher risk. These loans typically require a higher down payment and could have borrowing limitations and higher than average payments as well. The good news is that they can also be refinanced after a few months, allowing you to rebuild your credit and reduce your overall costs as you go.
To get the most out of these special loans, and to save yourself as much money as possible, there are a few steps you can take before you apply:
- Build Your Credit First: Paying off debt and getting up to date on your payments will help to raise your FICO score, enabling you to negotiate for better terms.
- Avoid Late Payments: Pay your current bills on time and avoid missing anything that could have a negative impact on your credit.
- Check Interest Rates: Find out what current rates are and calculate your payment, so you won’t overextend yourself.
- Save as Much as Possible: Padding your savings account and preparing a large down payment not only looks good, it will help you lower your payments too.
- Get Back to Basics: While it’s nice to have all the bells and whistles on your new car, keeping things simple and passing on the extras you don’t need could save you big bucks.
- Ask Around: While your dealer can often offer you the lowest rates on the financing you need, you might get lucky with a deal from your Credit Union in Pueblo that beats it. Even if you don’t think they’ll say yes, it never hurts to ask.
Following one or all of these steps could mean the difference between a “No” and a “Yes” when you apply for financing.
Leasing a Car with Bad Credit
Leasing often allows you to get a better car than you might have been able to afford otherwise and could significantly lower your monthly payments as well. Leasing also lowers your registration and insurance costs, because you’re only making payments on a portion of the vehicle’s value, making it a great option for credit-challenged shoppers on a budget.
To get the best lease rates if you have bad credit, follow the same steps outlined above, and be prepared to back up your financial information with additional paperwork, such as your paycheck stubs, 1040 returns, and any other paperwork you have that shows how much you make.
Speak to a Financial Expert to Learn More
Understanding financing and how your credit score affects you is key to getting the best deal when you pursue bad credit financing. Contact us today to learn more and to schedule a Canon City-area test drive of your new CDJR vehicle today.
More Car and Driving Tips from Perkins Motors
Here at Perkins Motors, one of the greatest joys we have is helping people find that perfect vehicle to meet the needs of a growing family. Experts say a large percentage of vehicle purchases are due to the arrival of a new baby – which make sense as a new baby can mean the need for…
The new CDJR models for sale near Pueblo are built to last, but in order to get the most out of your vehicle it’s important to get regular oil changes. Find out the importance of oil changes here, and then get your oil change near Castle Rock at Perkins Motors CDJR in Colorado Springs. Schedule…
The question has been asked of us many times; clients from Denver to Woodland Park want to know if it’s possible to get financing for a new or used vehicle even if they have less than perfect credit. While, in some cases, it could be more challenging and more expensive to get that initial financing,…